A scaffold is a temporary structure to enable to work at height and provide safety to workmen. Scaffolds are mainly required during construction activities, operation, maintenance, planned shutdown activities and on many other works at height activities. A strong and rigid structural support in the form of a stable scaffold is a necessity to safeguard required safety.
Why is safety on scaffolds important?
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), scaffold-related accidents result in roughly 60 deaths and 4,500 injuries every year. Falls from scaffolds account for roughly 25% of fatal falls from all working surfaces. Approximately 60 people die every year as a result of scaffold-related accidents.
Why Scaffolding Training is necessary?
Identification and selection of required scaffold components for a particular scaffold calls for basic knowledge of scaffold materials. Scaffold being a temporary structure and scaffold building is a complex activity, it requires skilled, experienced and competent workforce to prevent accidents. To maintain all safety standards for scaffolding management system proper training by qualified, certified, skilled and experienced trainer is the only solution.
An important aspect of Scaffolding Training is live practical demonstration on Field.
Who is allowed to design a scaffold?
Only a qualified person can design a scaffold.
What is a qualified person?
According to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration, UK) a qualified person is a person who:
Possesses a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing.
Has extensive knowledge, training and experience.
Can solve or resolve problems related to the work or the project.
Scaffolding Training is mainly classified into three types –
- Classroom Training: – Training through classroom lectures and interaction between trainer and participants provide fundamental and basic understanding of the scaffold management system.
- Online Training: – Training through online where the participants are learning fundamental and basic understanding of the scaffold management system remotely.
- Practical Training: – On-field or practical training is given to the participants to develop hands on experience and teamwork skills among them to enhance their practical knowledge. During practical field training participants do erection, dismantling activities by themselves and gain practical knowledge based on theoretical knowledge and they understand the key process of step-by-step execution of scaffolding work.
The participants can opt for either Classroom Training or Online Training, then continue the learning process with the Practical Training.
During the field training participants understand erection & dismantling procedures and its methodology, it helps participants to learn key points that how scaffold gets stability, rigidity and strength. Basically, participants understand step-by-step erection or dismantle process which involves Safety aspects of Scaffolding Management system which is an essential and important part of the whole process, right from planning to design and from erection to dismantling.
Followings are the important aspects to be considered during Scaffold Field Training –
Purpose of Scaffolding Training
The purpose of scaffolding training is to improve the safety standard of scaffolds and their workers. Field training provide greater practical guidance to make skilled, certified and knowledgeable scaffold Team members to ensure safe execution of scaffolding work.
ASK-EHS specialize in Scaffolding management contractors/consultants and offer effective scaffolding trainings, consisting of In-house and On-field trainings accompanied with pre-assessment and post-assessment of attendees.
Details of recently conducted Scaffolding Training program for one of the leading engineering companies dedicated to electrical substations –
Three-day Scaffolding Training program was conducted for for one of the leading engineering companies at their power station site in Jashrapur (near Khetri), Rajasthan for their engineers, supervisors, workers to enhance their knowledge regarding Scaffolding.
Main Requirements of the Client
The client’s main purpose of arranging this training was to improve on the existing knowledge of supervisors & engineers about various aspects of Scaffolding ranging from components to the load calculation and its inspection so that they could ensure the erection of safe and stable scaffoldings for working at a height of not more than 10 meters. The program started with the pre assessment where the participants were evaluated for their knowledge prior to the training program and the gap that needed to be filled during the course of the three days.
ASK-EHS Trainer’s Opinion
- Most of the participants were not clear about some basic terminologies & principle related to Scaffolding erection and stability. During training, all their doubts & queries were cleared and practical & feasible solutions were provided for the problems at site. All requirements based on the legal/statutory norms (both national and international standards) for the successful erection of scaffolding, were discussed with the participants.
- The animations videos were widely appreciated for its content & the unique way of delivery. These videos were also helpful in providing credibility to what was discussed and explained to the participants as they were able to clearly understand the gist of the topic being discussed.
- Also, the participants were given short assignments like, material inspection, dead load calculations, total live load calculation, listing components specification and preparation of inspection checklist at various stages of scaffolding work which helped them in clear understanding of the concept.
The unique method that has been incorporated in our training programs involve the use of presentations, animated videos, real life incident videos, case studies, group discussions and experience sharing was of immense help for getting the participants in sync with what, as an ASK-EHS trainer, was trying to convey to the participants, in a very simplified manner.
Overall, the Training Program was well appreciated by the participants as well as by the management thus establishing the fact that the implementation of the learning outcomes from this training will be visible in their activities & work process.
ASK-EHS has pioneered the safety movement in India through its visionary ‘service driven’ solutions. Recently we completed 13 years as a most trusted and successful Scaffolding Certified Training Institution.
Get in touch with us to know more.