Safety during Load Securing and Shifting
Rigging and lifting are very important ingredients of overall comprehensive subject of “Material Handling” which comprises securing the load, arranging for its movement like pushing, pulling, lifting, carrying and shifting from destination A to say B. Binding, securing and preparing it for movement is Rigging, while opposing gravity which pulls the load down is lifting and that is accomplished manually as well as mostly by mechanical means, with or without external power.
Rigging (material handling) because of heavy weight of the load and large dimension, is a very important, responsible but risky job in any industrial activity, in its different phases of production, construction, maintenance and even general working. Because of lack of awareness and knowledge of safe working methods and practices, material handlers, crane operators and slingers commit mistakes and unsafe acts, or unsafe conditions and situations are created at workplace due to haphazard and unsystematic working. As a result, large number of accidents occurs causing serious injuries and loss of property.
In all circumstances, the safety of the equipment can be affected by operating conditions, workplace hazards and the operator which essentially needs comprehensive training and grooving. These occurrences are largely preventable if, correct, safe and systematic practices are adopted. It is always important in rigging practice to rig the load so that it is stable. A stable load is one in which the center of gravity of the load is directly below the main hook and below the lowest point of attachment of the slings.
Crane & Rigging Safety Rules
- Make sure the load does not exceed rated capacity
- Know the center of gravity of the load
- Attach load above the center of gravity for stability
- Select hitch that will control the load
- Know the rated capacities of rigging and slinging
- Inspect all rigging before use
- Protect the sling from sharp corner
- Allow for increases tension due to sling angle
- Equalize loading on multiple leg slings
- Attach tag line prior to lift
- Keep personnel clear of lift area
- Wear hard hats when making overhead lifts
- Know limitations of hoisting device
- Verify hook completely closes
- Maintain load control at all times
- Never leave load unattended
All lifting appliances should be adequately and securely supported, the weight bearing characteristics of the ground on which the lifting appliance is to operate should be surveyed in advance of use.
Now let’s have a glance at OSHA’s Regulations intended to prevent rigging accidents.
- Proper & periodic inspection of rigging equipment before use and ensuring that it is safe.
- Remove rigging equipment from work when they are not in use
- Before beginning properly inspect the ground where rigging equipment are to be used
- Keep precise load, never overload rigging equipment
- Thoroughly examine steel chain slings which are in use
- Riggers should be well trained for rigging materials, their proper usage and their resulting hazards
- Ensure proper use of PPE
- Maintain and ensure proper signaling procedures
With above discussion we can analyze that awareness, knowledge & training, plays a major role in rigging and lifting.
We, at ASK-EHS Engineering & Consultants Pvt. Ltd. are among one of the premium institutes providing rigging and lifting training. Since our inception, we have added significant competencies to become an integrated player in the EHS domain. Our unrivalled expertise, in-depth understanding of EHS and research & technology led service solutions have enabled us to grow as India’s most preferred EHS service provider. We have worked with several industries namely Construction, Engineering, Pharmaceutical, Oil & Gas, Steel plants, Chemical and many more.
Our training program for ‘Rigging and Lifting’ aims to provide greater practical guidance for all the relevant personnel to ensure safe supervision of lifting work.
Write us for any queries about Rigging and Lifting Safety Training : or Contact @ +91-9227695215
Would you like to share your views? Send us your comments and suggestions.
2 thoughts on “Safety during Load Securing and Shifting”
We have seen some of your video clips and are interested in full programme that may be undertaking.
Please advise in more details. Thanks,
Lifting safety &safe work method