ISO 45003: A driving force for the effective management of Psychological Health & Safety within the workplace
Data from International Labour Organization (ILO) indicates that:
- There are over 2.78 million deaths globally per year as a result of occupational accidents
- Over 374 million work-related non-fatal injuries/illnesses occur per year, leading to extended absence from work
- The economic burden of current OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) performance is estimated to be 3.94% of global Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
ISO 45003 is the first global standard giving practical guidance on managing psychological health within the workplace. It provides guidance on the management of psychosocial risk within the occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system to enable organizations to prevent work-related injury and ill health of their workers and other interested parties and to promote well-being and engagement.
It is applicable to organizations of all sizes and in all sectors for the development, implementation, maintenance, and continual improvement of safe and healthy workplaces.
It includes –
- Information on how to recognize the psychosocial hazards that can affect workers, such as those that arise from Working-from-home
- Offers examples of effective, often simple, actions that can be taken to manage these and improve employees wellbeing
ISO 45003 is written to help organizations using an occupational health and safety management system based on ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety standard and also be useful for organizations that have not implemented an OHS(Occupational Health and Safety) management system yet. Organizations can start using the standard now to help safeguard and assist workers from mental ill-health surfacing within the workplace.
The Focus is on work-related stress: the response people may have when presented with work demands and pressures that are not matched to their knowledge and abilities and which challenge their ability to cope.
Well-being at work is defined as an individual’s ability to work productively and creatively, to engage in strong and positive relationships, fulfillment of personal and social goals, contribution to the community, and a sense of purpose.
WHO (World Health Organization) defines mental health as a state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her potential, can address the normal stresses of life, work productively and fruitfully, and contribute to her or his community.
Home, Community & Society
Worker well-being is an integrative concept that characterizes the quality of life concerning an individual’s health and work-related environmental, organizational, and psychosocial factors.
ISO 45003 provides guidance on:
- How to identify the conditions, circumstances, and workplace demands that have the potential to hinder the psychological health and well-being of workers
- How to identify primary risk factors and assess them to determine the changes required to improve the working environment and
- How to identify and control work-related hazards and manage psychosocial risk within an OH&S management system
What is Psychological (mental) Health?
Our mental health influences how we think and feel about ourselves and others and how we comprehend events.
What is Stress?
It’s our body’s natural defense to keep us safe. All sorts of things can happen to our body, having a physical, emotional, and mental impact.
Symptoms of too much stress (excess pressure)
Why do organizations struggle to manage psychological health?
- Organizations don’t understand the issues
- Organizations don’t know what actions to take
- Organizations need to understand how to manage
ISO 45003 recognizes that psychological health and safety are not always fully addressed within OH&S management.
ISO 45003 Structure
Key Psychosocial risks during the COVID-19 pandemic
Tips for Managing these Risks
Importance of ISO 45003
- Workplace well-being – fulfillment of physical, mental, social, and cognitive needs and expectations associated with their work
- Promoting well-being by managing Psychosocial Risk
Why ISO 45003 is good for your Organization?
Besides helping you to build and promote a positive working environment, a framework for managing psychological health and safety can help to improve your organizational resilience and enhance performance and productivity.
Benefits of ISO 45003 for your organization
Our Training Program will provide guidance with respect to managing psychosocial risk within Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) management system to enable organizations to prevent work-related injury and ill health of their workers and other interested parties, and to promote well-being and engagement (in line with ISO 45003).
Connect with us to provide you support in managing Psychological Health at your workplace and sensitize the employees for their well-being as they work from home during the pandemic or work at sites and from the office as well.