In India, the Construction Industry has a crucial role in the development of the economy which contributes to India’s economic growth compared to other sectors. The construction industries in India have a vital role to produce wealth and improvise the standard of living in this country.
Construction is one of the most hazardous industries due to its dynamic, temporary, and decentralized nature that needs site safety practices. Most accidents are the result of the combination of contributing causes and one or more unsafe acts and unsafe conditions. As the number of construction sector increase, the occurrence of hazard at the construction site might also increase. The solution is to enhance safety at the construction site.
The Indian construction labor force is 7.5% of the overall world labor force and it contributes to 16.4% of fatal global occupational accidents. India has the world’s highest accident rate amongst construction workers, in line with a recent study by the International Labour Organization (ILO) that cited one survey by a local aid group showing that 165 out of every 1,000 workers are injured on the construction job.
The importance of Safety awareness in Construction Industries is now realized to forestall labor accidents, occupational illness, and injuries related to construction work.
Several techniques can be adopted for safety. Among those techniques, BBS (Behavior Based Safety) is an extremely important technique, as 90% of all disabling accidents are the results of employee behaviors (as per Research & Studies). Hence understanding human behavior is a very important criterion for the preventions of accidents through behavior observations and root cause analysis. Many ‘Success stories’ worldwide highlighted the advantages reaped through BBS (Behavior Based Safety) program.
Objective of BBS (Behavior Based Safety) Training in the Workplace
- Behavior Based Safety Training is intended to influence employee actions toward safer outcomes, ideally by preventing an accident or injury before it occurs.
- Behavior based safety program implementation is the most effective way for an employer to encourage safety, eliminate hazards, and avert injuries.
- When implemented correctly, a behavior based safety program can provide positive rewards to modify unsafe behavior, diminish job-related injuries, decrease lost production hours, and build on workplace morale which are the three essential ingredients for creating a robust safety culture.
The Benefit of Implementing BBS (Behavior Based Safety) Training at Workplace
- Improve employee health and welfare
- Increase job satisfaction
- Improve employee retention rates
- Lower or eliminate the cost of worker’s compensation claims
- Reduce costs associated with employee medical leave and absenteeism
- Extreme emphasis on efficiency and capturing and delivering value.
2-days intensive BBS (Behavior Based Safety) Training program was recently conducted for an Indian multinational technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing, and financial services corporation to enhance the Safety performance at their design, development, and operation of an international convention center by our in-house EHS trainer Mr.Peeyush Gupta (Sr. EHS Trainer & Auditor).
There was a workforce of 6,600 employees involved in the client project. The program was about imparting complete concept of BBS (Behavior Based Safety) and guidelines to implement the same at their workplace.
The Trainer prepared content relating to the company needs and requirements and prepares cases to be delivered in training. This process includes –
- Strategic planning
- Data analysis and problem- solving techniques
- ABC model of BBS(Behavior Based Safety) & DO IT concept
- Preparation of Observation checklist
All the participants were taken to the construction site of the project and asked to observe the unsafe behaviors of the workers. They have participated actively and all have realized the importance to transform unsafe behavior into safe behavior for reducing the accidents at their site.
The program was delivered through presentations, hands-on table-top exercises, corporate interactive games, animated videos & relevant case studies. The training program was attended by all heads of departments, Safety Officers, and Engineers.
It was a very interactive session where Trainer has explained the relation between behavior and accident. Several queries have been raised by the participants during the training which was clarified by the Trainer. Overall, the training program was well appreciated by the management as well by the participants, thus establishing the proof that People’s behavior can be transformed into Safety Aspect Culture.
BBS (Behavior Based Safety) Program is for every organization employee who is involved in direct hands-on responsibility and employer who wants to maximize their safety culture and minimize cost. Contact ASK-EHS to book our expert trainers for customized on-site training and flexible online training.