The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 requires employers to comply with safety and health standards and regulations promulgated by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration, USA) or by a state with an OSHA-approved state plan. COVID-19 planning guidance (developed by OSHA) is based on traditional infection prevention and industrial hygiene practices. It focuses on the need for employers to implement engineering, administrative, and work practice controls and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as considerations for doing so.
Covid-19 Safety Plan
Construction sites operating during the Corona virus Covid-19 pandemic need to ensure they are protecting their workforce and minimizing the risk of spread of infection.
ASK-EHS has introduced consistent measures at one of the Client sites (as per their requirement) based on the guidelines of the Government on Preparedness, Prevention, and Response for a pandemic. The Project site must always comply with the latest Government advice on Corona virus.
The health and safety requirements of any construction activity must also not be compromised at this time. If an activity cannot be undertaken safely due to a lack of suitably qualified personnel being available or lack of preparedness and prevention, it should not take place.
ASK-EHS had deployed over 27,000 highly qualified EHS Professionals in Health, Safety, Environment, Fire, Scaffolding, Rigging, Security, Administration, Project Management, and Safety Management Consulting Services (SMCS).
Contract Workers: –
Replacement of labor: All subcontractors are required to seek permission prior to bringing any new labor into a shared labor camp, including a clear statement on precautions taken to prevent the inadvertent introduction of CoVID-19 into the existing labor pool. The resident Construction Manager (appointed by ASK-EHS) shall approve all such requests.
Labor camp management procedures should include the following at a bare minimum:
Covid-19 Work Resumption Plan
The purpose of this Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is to describe the procedure to follow for resuming work after lockdown due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
This SOP is prepared to resume the work at Client Project after the lockdown period due to the COVID-19 outbreak. By following this SOP, the chain of corona spread can be eliminated, and work can be done safely. All precautionary measures are to be ensured at the Client Project site so that employees/contract workers feel safe and secure at the workplace.
This SOP applies to the Client Project site
Preparedness prior to resumption
All areas in the premises, including the following, shall be disinfected properly using user- friendly disinfectant mediums:
- Entrance Gate of Site – Security Porta Cabins
- Vehicle Entry Gate – Security Porta Cabins
- Site Office, Meeting rooms, Induction room
- Open areas available (material stacking outside the stores)
- Equipment and Construction Vehicles (Bar bending machines, Excavators, Dumpers)
- Washrooms, Toilets, Sinks, etc.
Procedures shall be established for disinfection method, type of medium, periodicity, and log registers.
Appropriate PPE(Personal Protective Equipment) like Face covers, Masks, Goggles, Gloves, Coats / Aprons, Shoes, and also disinfecting gadgets like a sprayer, brush, etc. shall be made available.
Display board regarding the procedure of disinfection shall be displayed at entrances/prominent places.
On resumption of work
Security procedures at entry gates
- Compulsory screening of all persons irrespective of cadre/status entering through a gate with a thermal scanner.
- Stoppage of any person found having fever and cough, with breathing problem, and inform the concerned department/contractor. The person shall be taken to the nearest quarantine facility immediately and later to a government hospital as early as possible.
- No new workers (without valid pass) shall be allowed inside.
- Any new vehicle shall not be allowed without valid permission.
- Any parcel/courier person should be stopped at the gate. The parcel shall be collected from the gate by the concerned person.
Sanitization during entry
- All people who are entering the premises shall be sanitized with whole-body sanitizers.
- Hand sanitizers shall be kept ready at the entrances and people after entry shall sanitize their hands before proceeding to their work spots.
Personal Protective Equipment
All Employees/Contract workers/Visitors/Trainees/Others whom so ever entering the Client Project premises shall be permitted only upon wearing masks.
The COVID-19 Response Manager and the Lead Worker Representative (appointed by ASK-EHS at the client site) shall, having regard to the nature and extent of the hazards in the place of work, agree to the frequency or schedule of inspections. It is expected that during all the return to work phases, inspections will be conducted on a daily basis.