Metro Construction Safety Tips for workers and public
Currently, metro rail transit projects are growing rapidly in India. Almost every state have a metro project or very soon to start. When we think about safety, its new field and have unique challenges where lots of safety research, analysis and risk management to be established.
Throughout the metro construction process, the highest priority on the safety of workers and the community are the main challenges. A Project Construction Safety Compliance Program shall be developed to take a proactive approach in promoting safe behaviors near construction sites and increasing construction safety awareness for workers, public and stakeholders in the areas along the alignment.
Metro construction zones are very dangerous, so remember to always stay safe when you’re around them. Here are ten simple safety rules to help you stay safe:
- Restrict yourself from going near the construction zone, whenever possible. Debris and heavy machines can be hazardous.
- Avoid playing, running, riding or walking near the construction zone or around construction equipment’s, dirt piles and work areas.
- Always prefer walking on the designated walkways or sidewalks. Keep your eyes for sidewalk closure signs and remain alert to posted notices on the temporary walkways.
- Using cell phones, other hand held devices, video games and headphones in construction zones can be really dangerous. Avoid distraction, stay alert to your surroundings, this reduces the likelihood of an incident.
- Stay alert, stop, look and listen carefully for construction vehicles like dump trucks, bulldozers etc. as dust can impede your vision. Always be prepared for sudden wide turns and stops.
- Be careful, make an eye contact with drivers and construction vehicles while crossing and cross only at intersections.
- Lower your speed, follow sign boards that tell you where to walk.
- Be aware of falling objects in construction area, even if they are not directly overhead, wind can blow them towards you.
- Respect the construction signs and any instructions provided by people working on the project.
- Stay outside construction fences, chain link fences and orange cones.
Looking at the volume, intricacies, variety of EHS issues and hazards; safety training becomes an important aspect which cannot be ignored. Meticulous planning; brisk execution, supervision and control; strict compliance of EHS measures satisfying the legal and regulatory requirements; adoption of preventative and proactive measures of world class levels; inculcation and sustenance of positive and progressive work culture are the main requirements for HSE compliance by the metro projects.
Share your views. Send us your comments and suggestions.