Scaffolding Management System is no more an Unskilled Job
Scaffolding is a term mainly used in the construction or heavy infrastructure industry.
Scaffold is a temporary means of support required whenever working at height. It is a framework wherein a worker may position himself, place tools and materials and perform the job. Scaffolds are mainly required during operation, maintenance, servicing and on many other occasions. Structural support in the form of a stable and strong scaffold is a necessity during project execution, right from the time of excavation, foundation laying, erection of structures, equipment installation etc. .
Scaffolding operations encompasses many complex and compulsory safety processes. All these factors necessitate a very systematic approach towards scaffold construction. Scaffolders must be given detailed input, know-how and practical training in systematic scaffold erection, it cannot be performed by untrained individuals.
Proper functioning of scaffolding management system requires:-
• Established practices, standards, rules and regulations, mandatory provisions are essential factors to be taken into consideration. Inspection and certification for use, initially, after the completion of the erection and later, for the proper up-keep and regular use, are also important requirements.
• Scaffolding execution and management procedure includes the type of scaffolding materials in use, scaffolding system, methodology of scaffold erection, alteration,dismantling and JHA of scaffolding work.
• Knowledge and awareness of scaffolding execution and management procedures should be up to the satisfactory level. This requires proper infrastructure and practical sessions are required to be organized for all the concerned/associated personnel.
• Competency levels of scaffolding personnel such as scaffolders, supervisors and the Inspectors need regular up-gradation.
• A six directional hazard identification/assessment should be completed and the preventive measures thereof, communicated to the Scaffolding Team before erecting the scaffold.
• Competency training and refresher training on the various aspects/types of scaffold system need to be meticulously planned and executed with due assessment & certification.
• The scaffolding execution and management procedure shall be reviewed and revised considering national & international Standards as well as BOCW Rules.
It is very essential to observe these practices to reap the benefits of lower accidental rates, increased productivity, saving of time and simultaneously comply with EHS standards.
There are many other measures that scaffolding contractors can adopt.
Would you like to share your views? Send us your comments and suggestions.